Tuesday, May 15, 2018

More quilts from our show

The feedback about the images of some of our quilts with their makers has been verypositive, but we didn't get a photo of everyone! We'll try to make sure we do next time.  There are more quilts to add to the show gallery, that will require several posts ...

Val Nadin - The Corporate Life
For years I’ve been collecting my husband’s cast off silk ties.
 A wall quilt for his study seemed the appropriate use for
these beautiful fabrics.
English paper piecing, hand quilting.
Yvette Aoude - Starlight
I needed a simple and modern pattern that suits a traditional quilt.
The McCall pattern Blueberry Ice designed by Gerri Robinson
was perfect for my first machine quilt on a long arm.
Machine pieced, machine quilted.

Dawn Cox - Butterflies on the Wing
The design required three colours, a dark a light and a zing colour.
 All slashes were freehand from the stack and no pins were used -
just sewn. All curves fitted easily together.
 Slashing fabric freehand was stressful.
Brenda Gael Smith workshop, May 2016, 'Stacks of Improvisation'

Elaine Bright - What a Hoot!
I had often thought it would be great to make a ‘wonky’ quilt
so I set about constructing some log cabin blocks with the owl
fabric.This type of sewing is a little off-putting at first when you
are used to getting blocks to be perfect and trying to let go of the
idea of neat, straight lines is a little difficult but the effect turns
out to be very interesting.
Design: inspired by a 'Logs and Ladders' workshop
with Brenda Gael Smith.

Louise Wyatt-Spratt - Mindful Mandala
I really love Miriam’s (Sewmiriam) method of making the fusible
orange peels and I love how you can make different patterns using
different sizes. This quilt was lots of scraps from a variety of
previous quilts. I think my daughter Anna has her eye on it.
Machine quilted by Christy Wang.

Robin Williams - Wonky Squares
I like patterns that are off centre so when I saw this one in
Quiltmania I just had to try making it in a Moda blue layer cake,
despite my preference for bright colours. I enjoyed the process.
Machine pieced. Machine quilted by Jo-Ann Phillips.
Design: 'Shuffle', in Quiltmania July-August 2016
Val Nadin - A Little bit of Fauvre: A Nod to Henri Matisse
A small piece of Henri Matisse print was the inspiration for
this quilt. Working with small hexagons I was able to incorporate
many of my brightly coloured scraps.
Hand and machine pieced hexagons.
 Custom quilted by Jo-Ann Phillips


Robyn Leek - Hexie Flowers
A flower garden made with hexagon flowers with yellow centres
embroidered with colonial knots. Original idea for this quilt
came from a quilt seen on Pinterest.
 Hand appliqued, embroidered and quilted.
Val Nadin - Blue Boxes
I’m still trying to cull my scraps. So this time the blues had to go!
Hand pieced and machine quilted.
Design: 'Patchwork' by Kaffe Fassett


Susan McMahon - Autumn
I named this “Autumn” because it gives me the sense and
feel of the beautiful colours of Autumn. It also allowed me to
use the batik fabrics to their full advantage – from the recently
fallen to the older more decayed leaves. I also enjoyed popping
in a couple of butterflies as well.
Positive/negative applique using Vliesofix.
Design: Down Under Quilts, June 2001 by Michelle Steel
and Ami Hillege

No comments:

Post a Comment